Historic Tulbagh The historic country town of Tulbagh is situated only an hour and a half’s drive north of Cape Town, set in a beautiful landscape and famous for its heritage and magnificent country living. Tulbagh was founded when the Dutch Colonial Government made land grants to Dutch and Huguenot settlers in 1658; the town developed slowly and over time but many notable Cape Dutch, Victorian and Edwardian houses were built in the valley. Post the 1969 earthquake every historic home in Church Street was painstakingly restored to its original glory. These 32 buildings now constitute the largest concentration of National Monuments in a single street in South Africa and is a major tourist attraction of the town to the present day. 32B Church Street It came to be that the Colonial Government hired house no.32 Church Street from two brothers, Ryk and Johannes Meiring, for twenty-five pence per month to use as the first English free school in Tulbagh. Since the outbuilding (now Bain's Barn) with its thatched lean-to roof had already been built, it can be reasonably accepted that this was in fact the schoolroom that was opened on the 22nd of October 1822, as the first "English Free School" in Tulbagh. Bain’s Barn Ownership of no.32B Church Street was registered in Honene, Walda and Monique’s name on the 22nd of August 2011 with the intention of opening Bain’s Barn to select visitors, offering guests the opportunity to enjoy self catering accommodation with an eclectic mix of rustic romance and modern conveniences in the heart of historic Church Street Why Bain's Barn? Honene Roux (néé Bain) is a descendant of the well known geologist, road engineer, paleontologist and explorer, Andrew Geddes Bain, who built the Bain's Kloof Pass near Wellington from 1848 to 1852.
Tiny URL :: http://tiny.cc/BainsBarn (copy & recommend Bain's Barn)
All form fields are required.
Represented in SA & U.S.A, CA - Copyright © BookInSa 2011-2013. All rights reserved.